This is Day 2 of 30 (in 30 days of Geek)…
Day 02 – Preferred programming language?
This is an easy one for me: Java
Why is Java the best choice for me?
- Java is portable – I write applications on Linux, and run them on windows and Mac, with no hassles. And when I ant to write a Mobile App (Android, Palm, whatever) I can do that too.
- Java is Free – The tools I use to write software are free (usually either Eclipse or Netbeans)
- The language is “Open” – I am not tied to one vendor, and the language I use is Open source (GPL). This is too big a topic to really get into here. see http://www.osnews.com/story/10806
- I dont need to re-invent the wheel – There are LOTs of libraries out there I can reuse instead of wasting my time redoing stuff that other people have already solved.
- Flexability – I can do a LOT of stuff in java. Anything from a backend server application to a web applet or a fancy software front end. Java can do it all.
Is Java perfect? No. but it works for me 🙂