Today was the day to get eclipse going on Gentoo. I downloaded the latest version (3.3) and dropped it into /opt/eclipse.
I fired it up and got:
* run-java-tool is not available for sun-jdk-1.6 on i686
* IMPORTANT: some Java tools are not available on some VMs on some architectures
so, clearly it did not like my java.
I know my java is good:
# java-config -L
The following VMs are available for generation-2:
1) Blackdown JDK 1.4.2.03 [blackdown-jdk-1.4.2]
2) Sun JDK 18.104.22.168 [sun-jdk-1.4]
3) Sun JDK 22.214.171.124 [sun-jdk-1.5]
*) Sun JDK 1.6.0 [sun-jdk-1.6]
Looking around, I found the following:
Java on Gentoo uses /usr/bin/run-java-tool instead of /usr/bin/java (which links to run-java-tool)
the trick is to edit /usr/bin/run-java-tool
[[ $tool = “run-java-tool” ]] && tool=”java”
then eclipse started perfectly.