Day 10 of 30 (in 30 days of Geek)…
– Favourite hacking environment – music, light, seating, etc
First of all, I dislike overhead fluorescent lights.
- The high frequency flickering drives me crazy and they really cause bad reflection off monitors.
- My eyesight is bad enough without adding that nonsense.
- So, in corporate environments, I prefer to unscrew the bulbs to save energy and stop them annoying me.
Seating wise, I prefer a nice upright chair.
- My favourite? The Herman Miller Aaron chair:
- Had one of those when I was working at Vodafone .
What else do you need to work productively?
- Freedom from distractions. Unfortunately, most of us have to work in cubes, even though a lot of research shows that (the increased noise) hurts productivity. Read this article to see what I mean: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000043.html
- Here is a really good layout to help productivity
- If I am really annoyed by multiple conversations around me, I put on earphones and listen to music. More about that another day