After my first full week of using Eclipse (having moved away from JBuilder) I thought I would list some of my thoughts:
- The visual editor sucks. Jbuilder 2005/6 and Netbeans have eclipse beat here. I hope this area improves soon.
- The spell checker finds spelling mistakes, but right clicking the error does not give an “add to dictionary” option.
- Eclipse feels much faster than Jbuilder 2005, and eclipse 3.2.
- It is great to be able to do C++ (CDT) and java in the same IDE.
- Mylyn (formerly Mylar) rocks. I am able to interact with tasks while developing, a big time saver. For example, if there is an error in the ide log, you can right click it and add n eclipse bugzilla defect on the fly.
I still need to get Mantis defect tracking set up with Mylyn.