In the continuing saga of attempting to get ProjectAssist working, I spent the last week trying to get my “development stack” configured.
I would have to say that at the moment, I am not yet impressed.
The idea behind using Project Assist was:
“ProjectAssist dramatically reduces the time and complexity to create new team and project definitions”
Unfortunately, I have now spent more time debugging the Project Assist installation process than I would have spend just installing the supported projects manually.
Here is what I ran into:
- You can not use your own Apache/tomcat installation, you must install a new instance.
- If you want to, you can integrate an existing bugzilla, continuum or xplanner installation.
- If you do use an existing app such as bugzilla, you can not use the existing mysql database for new applications, you mist install a new database instance.
- If you do not want to use one of the components, you must install them anyway. (I don’t want bugzilla as I already use a different defect tracking system)
So, you pretty much are forced into letting ProjectAssist do it their way, unless you want multiple copies of apache and mysql to be installed.
Personally, I find that troubling, as I do not want
- Double the resources to be used on my server
- Double the maintenance issues (when upgrading software down the road)